Thursday 16 May 2013

Mini strawberries and cream cakes by Lorraine Pascale - 14/4/13

I had treated myself to Lorraine Pascale's latest book a couple of weeks before baking these delicious cakes and this was the first recipe that caught my eye!  The thought of delicious vanilla sponge cakes, filled with a dollop of double cream and strawberry jam, topped with a strawberry and drizzled with melted white chocolate was just too tempting to resist. 
 
For the sponge cakes, I have to admit I didn't follow Lorraine's recipe as I thought the quantities were quite large and I wanted to keep these cakes "fairy cake" size rather than the larger cup cake size.  So I turned to my trusty Mary Berry's Baking Bible and instead followed Mary's standard fairy cake recipe, adding some good quality vanilla extract to the cake batter.


Lorraine suggests you can make an optional sugar syrup for pouring over the split sponge cakes once they have been baked and split, I decided against this as I thought the cakes would be sweet enough.
 


For the cream filling and topping, Lorraine instructs you to add vanilla extract and sifted icing sugar to the double cream before whipping.  I was very pleased with the taste of the cream and the texture of the sweet cream was perfect - no over-whipping the cream this time!


I loved the results of this recipe, and so did my family!  This is definitely a recipe that I will be coming back to again and again.


 

 



 


2 comments:

  1. Hi, I was wanting to make these to bring into work for my birthday treats. How did you change the recipe? Should I follow Mary’s recipe and then add Lorraine’s filling to the fairy cakes. How big are Lorraine’s?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for your comment.

    I haven't made Lorraine's cakes so I don't know how big they are, sorry. I just followed Mary's recipe for fairy cakes and they turned out well!

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete